National Opera and Ballet theatre of Belarus
Settlement \ Area
Minsk, Minsk region
Build time
XX c.
The distance from Minsk
up to 50 km

The only Belarusian opera and ballet theatre is situated in Minsk at Parizhskoy Kommuny Square. It was opened with the opera "Carmen" on May 25, 1933. For a long time the theatre troupe had not their own building. That’s why in the early thirties the Belarusian authorities decided to construct the building for the theatre at the top of one of the highest hills of the city. The Trinity hill used to be well-known because of the market located on it. According to the initial plan the auditorium’s capacity was 2250 places with a possibility to transform into an amphitheater. However, this project was too expensive.

Therefore, in 1934 construction of the building in the Soviet constructivism style was started. The project was created by a famous architect Iosif Langbard. The theatre was opened in 1939. During the first days of the Great Patriotic War the air bomb destroyed the auditorium. After the war Iosif Langbard directed the reconstruction of the building. According to his project a beautiful park was created in 1949 around the theatre. By the way, all buildings of this architect in Minsk have outlasted the war. Throughout the whole history of the theatre more than 20 thousand performances took place on its stage with more than 200 premieres. Nowadays the capacity of the National Academic Bolshoi Opera and Ballet Theatre is 1200 seats.

Its internal decoration is awe-inspiring. A special feature of the theatre is a modern transformer stage that consists of 21 platforms that can change an inclination, as well as ascend and descend. Pay your attention that the exterior of the building is decorated with 5-meter sculptures of muses together with Apollo and two nymphs. Here you can find Terpsichore – the patroness of dance, Melpomene – the patroness of theatre who holds masks, Polyhymnia – the patroness of anthems writers and Calliope – the patroness of epic poetry. According to one of city legends there is an underground passage right under the theatre which was found and closed.